Wednesday, September 15, 2004

Good Intentions

So I started a new project without finishing the old ones. Now I have some napkins to sew from cheap curtains I found. As I sat down with my wine and set up the sewing machine, the material and put in the first disc of season three of Sex and the City I noticed that I had to wind up a new bobbing of red thread. Shucks. I hate that. I wish I had a room in the house where the sewing machine would be set up and I would have all the colors of thread I needed and working on a project would just be that easy. Anyways, after reading the instructions again on the proper bobbing-winding steps I started to sew...then the thread snapped. Double shucks. I re-threaded the needle and started over. Then the thread snapped again. And again, and again. I think six times in total. Apparently, I couldn't read instructions as well as I thought and I had done something wrong. Triple shucks. I fixed the problem, started up again and to my complete dismay, the needle broke. Damn, crap shucks. After replacing the needle, I started up again and one napkin later, that needle broke. Damn, crap double shucks. By this point I had drank way more wine than I had intented and I was putting in the second disk of season three. I had but one needle left and I really wanted to get this stuff done and out of my parents way! I replaced the needle again and started on my second line of my second napkin. Then the thread snapped again...
Deb

3 comments:

Lorna said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorna said...

Double shucks! I deleted my message by mistake

As a glass half-full person, I see that whole napkin thing as an exercise in determination; as a person who'd pretty quickly throw the damned glass in the fireplace, I would have been sewing those napkins by hand before anybody could get their knickers off in Sex and the City.

I'm keen to see the pictures---did you make the boxes from scratch, you crafty good intentions guy? XX

Deb said...

Yes. Many different ways of looking at it indeed. I chose to put all the equipment away and am getting ready to tackle the whole situation again tonight.
The box, yes I made it. Mostly by myself, but with a little guidance from my dad since I had never worked with MDF(Medium Density Fibre board) before. I used the nifty battery drill that I got for my Birthday and some screws. Actually, many screws. I think that I added about 30pds worth of screws. This thing could stay still through Hurricane Eugene. (And that's big!)
Love, Deb